Tuesday 8 March 2011

Multi Culti festival

This morning I attended "High and Dry" at the Praat Huis, where immigrants and refugees attend to improve their Dutch language. I found this through Theo who volunteers there, we meet to exchange languages every so often. You are supposed to Nederlands spreken, I have enjoyed it as it forces you to speak Dutch and i find it very exciting. I get such a warm feeling from going, it is great and fascinating to meet new cultures. Today was a Multi culti festival, the 5th Birthday of the Praat Huis. I took a victoria sponge cake along, mainly to thank Theo. Sponge seemed to be a curious word for the volunteers, difficult to pronounce, Theo said "Like sponge bob?". They had a lovely spread.

I tried a small piece of Tiramisu and Gefeliciteerd taart, and later the raw fish; herring, i liked it!


Theo played a lot of great music and we sang nursery rhymes which I believe helps with my pronunciation.


A man from Afghanistan sang and played his harmonica, it was great, very moving.

A Brazilian lady gave a dance too, which was fantastic! She danced with another lady originally from South America and another volunteer.







I met different lovely people, most spoke to me in Dutch and I was thrilled that I understood some words.

1 comment: